Friday, January 20, 2012

Homemade Laundry Soap

I wish I could say I thought of this myself, but I didn't.  One of my favorite families to spy on is the Duggar's.  You might know them as the TV family in TLC's "19 Kids and Counting".  Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar are full of great money saving tips for families big or small.

Laundry detergent prices are sky rocketing along with everything else. If you're using Tide liquid you're more than likely paying around $12.00 for 100 oz.  According to P & G, a 100 oz jug will do 64 loads.  Making the cost per wash load just under 19 cents. When I first used Tide's scale to figure out my cost per load I was pretty happy. Then I read on.  The amount of load is based on a SMALL load, using just 1/2 a cap full. I don't know about you, but I don't think I've ever used half a cap of any laundry soap!  This doubles your cost to 37 cents a load.   If you're already a frugal wife you're probably using an inexpensive brand of laundry detergent such as ValuTime or Purex you're doing a bit better and are paying between 10 and 15 cents per load.  Michelle Duggar's recipe that follows costs just pennies a load and is very easy to make.   You'll know you have it right when you have a fairly thick gel that needs to be well shaken before each use.   It basically has no real scent but I add a few drops of essential oil to make our  clothes smell pretty!


What you need:

4  Cups - hot tap water
1  Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda*****
½ Cup Borax
- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.
-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)
-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.
-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.
-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)
-Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)
*Arm & Hammer "Super Washing Soda" can be purchased through Ace Hardware, I get mine at Guild's Country Hardware in Livermore.  Baking Soda will not work, nor will Arm & Hammer Detergent - It must be sodium carbonate!!

I bought a few five gallon buckets with snap on lids from Wal-Mart and do two buckets at a time to save time.  This is what it looks like.


2 comments: